This is a video and song-based activity for English language teaching featuring Lady Gaga’s Acceptance Speech for Best Original Song at the 2019 Oscar Awards, and also her performance of the winning song “Shallow”, by Bradley Cooper and Gaga herself, in which students talk about winning; find common ideas connecting those quotes about winning and the message in Gaga’s speech; watch the video and do a listening exercise, and finally, read the lyrics and find mistakes in verb forms.
Language level: Pre-Intermediate (B1) and above
Learner type: All ages
Skills: speaking, reading & listening
Language: Vocabulary related to winning, expressions to agree, disagree and express opinions
Materials: Acceptance Speech video.mp4 , Acceptance Speech Worksheet, Shallow worksheet, and Shallow performance youtube video
Duration: 1h – 1h 30 min
Downloadable materials: instructions; Acceptance Speech video.mp4 , Acceptance Speech Worksheet, Shallow worksheet
NEW! CHECK OUT THE VIDEO VERSION OF THIS POST:
Part 1. QUOTES
Warm-up. Ask students when the last time they won something was. Have students share they’re winning moments with the whole class
Step 1. Have students read the quotes below (project or write them on the board), choose their favorite and share their ideas with a partner. They have to explain their reasons. (give them 2 to 5 minutes)
QUOTES ABOUT WINNING
- “When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.” Paul Brown
- “There are more important things in life than winning or losing a game.”Lionel Messi
- “The person that said winning isn’t everything, never won anything. Mia Hamm
- “You can’t win unless you learn how to lose.” Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
- “Winning isn’t getting ahead of others. It’s getting ahead of yourself.” Roger Staubach
Step 2. The pairs share their favorites with the whole class. Have a plenary discussion. Have a vote for the best quote. (optional)
PART 2 – ACCEPTANCE SPEECH
Step 3. Tell them they are going to watch Lady Gaga winning the 2019 Oscar for Best Original Song. After watching it, ask them to work in small groups and discuss what she said about winning and which of the quotes is most similar to what she said in the video. Play the video again, if necessary.
Step 4. Have the groups share their conclusions, and check if they got to the same conclusion.
Part 3. LISTENING ACTIVITY (Acceptance Speech worksheet)
Step 5. Give out the Acceptance speech worksheet. Have the students listen to the video again and write down the missing parts. Play it 2x. Have them check in pairs. Them play the video one more time and pause at the gaps to check as a class.
Answer key: 1. Wonderful 2. Person 3. My sister 4.on the planet 5.believing 6. Hard work 7.Have a dream 8. Brave 9. Acts
Part 4: SONG ACTIVITY (video and lyrics)
Step 6. Tell students they are going to watch Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga’s performance of Shallow at the Oscars. Ask them what they understood about the meaning of the song.
Step 7. Give out the Shallow Worksheet. Tell students to read it find 5 wrong verbs in the lyrics. After some time, play the song so they can check.
Answer key: 1-
Say- tell me somethin’ girl 2 - Or do you needs- need 3 - And in the bad times I fearing fear 4 - Aren’t you tired tryin’ to filledfill that void? 5 - I’ll never tomeet the ground
The Song Activity Factory presents:
A TIME-SAVING eBook that does the heavy work so you can focus on the most important: INSPIRING and MOTIVATING YOUR STUDENTS to learn CREATIVELY!
KNOW MORE ABOUT THIS EBOOK HERE
That’s it for this week! I hope your students enjoy the activities!
SUBSCRIBE to our new YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
FOLLOW us on TWITTER!
Happy teaching! 🙂
If you enjoyed this song-based lesson plan, know that by registering to the NEW EXCLUSIVE MEMBERSHIP AREA you can get FREE LIFETIME ACCESS TO:
- Extra song-based lesson plans like this every week
- Exclusive materials in an ever growing library of pure useful content aimed at ELT professionals
- Exclusive videos you can use with your students with PROTECTED VIDEO LINKS with NO ADS and NO DISTRACTIONS
- Exclusive discounts on eBooks, courses, AI-powered apps and video creation services by Mundo Mars Digital and the D3sign Factory
- Interaction with teachers from all over the world who also believe in the power of songs to teach English in creative, innovative, practical and useful ways!