SONG PIECES is back! By using various short song extracts, it injects variety and liveliness to English language teaching classes. It generates student interaction and collaboration to identify specific things in the lyrics, in a light and fun way. SONG PIECES is fast-paced, and its variety provides extra energy and fun at any moment the teacher needs: Review, warm-up, extra grammar practice, or as a simple reward activity
Description: In this ELT song-based activity, students work in teams and listen to 7 different short song extracts, and have to identify different grammar structures and vocabulary in each one. Language level: all levels Learner type: All ages Skills: listening and writing Topic: varied Language and grammar: nationality, clothes, adjectives, parts of the body, modal verbs (can/could), nature words connected to water Materials: edited mp3 files for the songs used Duration: 20 - 30 minutes Downloadable materials: instructions; Song Extracts (mp3 files)
Step 1. Divide students into pairs or trios, and tell them they are going to listen to various extracts of songs and in each one, they have to listen to different things and write them down on a blank sheet of paper.
Step 2. Before playing each extract, say what you want the students to listen to and make sure they know it. In order to do that ask them if they can give you examples of the words they must listen to.
Step 3. Tell them they have 3 chances to try to get the right word. Then, play the first extract 3 times and they write down the answer for number 1.
Step 4. Check what the teams wrote down and assign points. (1 for each right word, if there is more than 1 word in the recording)
Step 5. Repeat steps 2, 3, 4 for the next song extracts. The team with more points, in the end, is the winner!
Things to be found in each song extract:
- Song 1: parts of the body (answer: hand/ heart)
- Song 2: things that have water (answer: river/ ocean)
- Song 3: a piece of clothing (answer: t-shirt)
- Song 4: nationality (answer Chinese)
- Song 5: parts of the body (answer: lips/ heart)
- Song 6: modal verbs (answer: can/ could)
- Song 7: adjectives (answer: bad / perfect)
List of songs (+ lyrics key) featured in this original ELT Activity:
1) Break my heart right - James bay -Lyrics key: Never wanna say goodbye You always see through my disguise You're the one who breaks my (heart) right You tear me up and wreck my dreams I hold your (hand) when I'm asleep I don't mind falling for a lifetime 'Cause you break my (heart) right 2) Falling like stars - James Arthur - Lyrics key: I'm gonna hold you so close I swear to God when I come home I'll never let go Like a (river), I flow To the (ocean), I know You pull me close, guiding me home 3) Sixteen - Ellie Goulding - Lyrics key: ...eyes on mine, mine If you'd just focus on me Like we were sixteen And planning our lives Can I wear your (t-shirt) And sleep on you While I dream of all the good times? When we were sixteen 4) Earth - Lil Dicky Lyrics key: [Ed Sheeran:] I'm a koala and I sleep all the time So what? It's cute [Meghan Trainor:] We love you, India [Joel Embiid:]We love you, Africa [Tory Lanez:] We love the (Chinese) [Lil Dicky:] We forgive you, Germany [Chorus:] Earth, it is our planet (It's our planet) We love the Earth (We love the Earth), it is our home (Home) We love the Earth, it is our planet (It is our planet) We love the Earth, it is our home We love the Earth 5) Stay - David Guetta - Lyrics key: Don't go away, don't go away You don't even have to try No other (lips) can make me cry But there is something 'bout the way you look Something from my (heart) you took tonight And I don't mind (Stay) 6) SOS - Avicii - Lyrics key: I (can) feel your love pullin' me up from the underground, and I don't need my drugs, we (could) be more than just part-time lovers I (can) feel your touch pickin' me up from the underground, and I don't need my drugs, we (could) be more than just part-time lovers We (could) be more than just part-time love 7) What I like about you - Jonas Blue - Lyrics key: (Oh, make me bad and I don't know) (Oh, make me bad and I don't know) (Oh) That's what I like about ya (Oh) Yeah, that's what I like about ya [Verse 2] I don't care if my daddy don't think we're the (perfect) pair It's my affair Yeah, I don't know why my momma worries when I'm out all night She thinks I'm nine, uh-uh
BE AN EXCLUSIVE SUBSCRIBER AND GET MORE FROM THE SONG ACTIVITY FACTORY!
Get Exclusive access to the growing library of new awesome song activities and lesson plans in the NEW EXCLUSIVE SUBSCRIBER AREA!
That’s it for this week! I hope you all enjoy this new activity!
Share this to help other teachers! Also, check out Song Pieces 01
SUBSCRIBE to our new YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
FOLLOW us on TWITTER!
Happy teaching! 🙂